DURING 2010 - CHRIST IN YOU IS THE TREASURE OF GREAT WORTH
Our theme is:
· “Christ in you, the hope of glory.”
Colossians 1:27 b;
· The Spirit within is John's ever-flowing River,
· The Psalmist's solid Rock,
· And Isaiah's great shining Light.
· In 2010, let’s understand that the indwelling Christ is the Treasure of great worth!
Corinthians 4:7, KJV But we have this TREASURE
earthen vessels that the excellency (preeminence) of the
power (dunamis – ability) may be of God, and not of
The Greek word for “TREASURE” is thesauros,
And it means,
· a deposit,
· the place of safe-keeping in which good and precious things are collected and laid up;
· a casket,
· a coffer,
· or other receptacle, in which valuables are kept;
· a treasury,
· or magazine;
· collected treasures.
is also used to speak of the Magi who opened their
King Jesus; may we, too, wisely present Him with:
1. Gold – the PRICE of the lifestyle of worship.
2. Frankincense – the PURITY of the lifestyle of worship.
3. Myrrh – the PAIN of the lifestyle of worship.
· The Bible explains that this treasure house beats in our chest—your TREASURE is your HEART
· Matthew 6:19-21 (English Standard Version)
Lay Up Treasures in Heaven
19"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
· Matthew 12:35 (English Standard Version)
The good person out of his
good treasure brings forth good, and the evil
person out of his evil treasure brings forth evil.
· An open treasure!
· An open gift!
· Is an open heart!
· What measure of TREASURE?
· What kind of heart are you laying open before the King?
· The Ark of the Covenant in Moses' Tabernacle is another incredible picture of “Christ in you” (Col. 1:27).
· It was filled with TREASURES of great worth:
· Hebrews 9:4 (English Standard Version)
the golden altar of
incense and the ark of the covenant covered on all sides
with gold, in which was a golden
urn holding the manna, and Aaron’s staff
that budded, and the tablets of the covenant.
1. The golden pot of manna – an unlimited provision.
2. Aaron's rod that budded – the kingly and priestly power of resurrection life.
3. The (unbroken) tables of the covenant – complete obedience.
· We belong to Christ and are Abraham's seed.
· Galatians 3:29 (English Standard Version)
if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s
offspring, heirs according to promise.
· We are His “peculiar (valued) TREASURE (possession)”
· Psalm 135:4 (King James Version)
4For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure.
· Exodus 19:5 (English Standard Version)
5Now therefore, if you will indeed obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my treasured possession among all peoples, for all the earth is mine;
· 1 Peter 2:9 (English Standard Version)
you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation,
a people for his own possession,
that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called
you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
· “Christ in you” is:
1. a Prophet,
2. a Priest, and
3. a King.
· He is a great Rock and a great Light.
· Indeed, He is the very “image of God”
· 2 Corinthians 4:4 (King James Version)
whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them
which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel
of Christ, who is the image of
God, should shine unto them.
· In Him are hidden “all the TREASURES of wisdom and knowledge”
· Colossians 2:3 (English Standard Version)
whom are hidden all the treasures
of wisdom and knowledge.
· Do you know who you ARE “in Christ”?
· Do you know what you HAVE “In Christ”?
· Did you know that you have died, and your life is hid with Christ in God?
· Colossians 3:3 (English Standard Version)
3For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
· You and every believer—the “treasure” He bought with the great price of His own blood —are of inestimable value and worth!
· Matthew 13:44-46 (English Standard Version)
The Parable of the Hidden Treasure
44"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
The Parable of the Pearl of Great Value
45"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, 46who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.
· Matthew 27:6-9 (English Standard Version)
6But the chief priests, taking the pieces of silver, said, "It is not lawful to put them into the treasury, since it is blood money." 7So they took counsel and bought with them the potter’s field as a burial place for strangers. 8Therefore that field has been called the Field of Blood to this day. 9 Then was fulfilled what had been spoken by the prophet Jeremiah, saying, "And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him on whom a price had been set by some of the sons of Israel,
· 1 Corinthians 6:20 (English Standard Version)
20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body
· 1 Corinthians 7:23 (English Standard Version)
were bought with a price;
do not become slaves of men.
1. yourself first of all,
2. then your family,
3. your neighbors,
4. your friends, and
5. your brothers and sisters in Christ, through HIS eyes!
6. You are, and
7. they are of great worth!
Pastor Rev. C. E. Stephen Coates www.churchonthego.ca